Parameters which should be kept in mind while making Vision and Mission statements for your company:
Clarity: A Vision statement should be clear in the terms what company wants to achieve and what are the goals it has set for itself
2) Motivation: Vision statement must be motivating for the associates working for the company. they should always feel proud and get propelled to work every time they read it
3) Ethical: vision statement should also portray that company will always follow ethical practices in order to achieve the goal
4) Comprehensible: A vision statement should be easily understandable for all the stack holders (vendors, clients, employees and society). For the same reason it should not use any jargon, industry specific terminologies or complex sentence structures
5) Sync with business: company’s vision statement should be in sync with the kind of business it does. For making a flashy vision statement company should not depart from the sole reason of its existence
6) Guiding Star: A company’s vision should always provide guidance to its employees in situation of dilemma.
Let’s take a company and analyze its Vision statements
Company name: Mahindra Satyam
Vision Statement: To be the world’s most valued information, communications and technology (ICT) company
My Rating for company’s Vision Statement (on scale of 10): 6
Analysis: company is clear in the vision statement in the terms what it wants to achieve but statement lacks the ways through which it is planning to achieve the same. In order to reach the top company may adopt unethical practices which eventually it did. Also vision statement here only talks about the ultimate target where it wants to be but does not talk about the thinks it would like to achieve in the pathway like delighting customers, associates and society.
There are very few MNC which will score high this way. Do the same kind of analysis for the organization you have worked/working for and post your company and ratings.