Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Tree plantation at Tsunami rehabilitation center

Tuesday morning, as I opened my mailbox I saw a mail with the subject: GO GREEN. Because of my natural curiosity I opened it, it was a call for people to help in planting trees in a near by community center. As a Satyam foundation and SocialBond Volunteer I and my friends reached there. It was only 10 minutes walk away from office. First thing we saw was a huge gate saying “Annai fathima child welfare centre”.

As we entered we saw lots of energetic children running here and there and looking enthusiastically towards us.

We were around 10 peoples from our company. First we spotted the suitable places all around the campus for plantation and then we selected the plants according to the place. We divided ourselves in 3 teams to speed up the work. Finally we started the digging. I was clearly able to see more quickness and enthu in children from most of us.

They were helping us in digging, watering the plants and then safeguarding them by making a brick boundary around them. My team Noor, Aditi and me we planted 4 trees of gulmohar and a rose plant. After finishing the task we tried to interact with children and came to know about there routine and life. Head master over there told us that even in the absence of good teachers and resources children are doing really well. 1 boy over came 2nd in Tamil Nadu state board exam. This reminded me of the saying “where there is a will there is a way”. I noticed an old age home inside the campus but didn’t notice any movement in there.

May be I will visit that place again and find out more about it. Ok leave it for now and let me tell you further. We finished our plantation and gathered in the corridor for group photo and distributing chocolates to kids.

When we were leaving the two kids who were in our group were shouting “chalo ok bye”. We replied, waved and moved on ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts